Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Tow Trucks of Life

So, as most of you know, I am spending my Christmas break in The Woodlands, Texas; it is a small suburb just north of Houston. Anyway, here in The Woodlands, whenever there is an accident of any kind, swarms of tow trucks appear to try and tow the vehicles from the scene. Well, as you might expect not every one of those tow trucks will be able to accomplish the job.

Well, today my mother and I were wandering around town, finishing up some last minute Christmas shopping (I am almost done!)and just outside of the wal-mart just down the road from our neighborhood, there was a slight fender-bender (maybe a little more than slight, but one of the cars suffered almost no damage at all). However, the cars involved in the accident were nearly impossible to see, not because of rubber-neckers or anything like that. Rather, the street was almost filled with tow trucks-there were at least 10 tow trucks all trying to tow the cars.

Well, as I sit here blogging about this frequent occurrence, I can't help but be reminded of life. Oftentimes, I feel that we try to fix problems after they have happened. We wait until we are sick or injured to address the issue. Rather than take preventive measures (such as stretching before exercising or eating healthy foods), we wait until we pull a muscle or get the flu. Much like the tow trucks, we try to shove as many remedies down the problem's throat and hope that one of them works and is able to fix the immediate problem-although the unseen impacts can be lasting and far more damaging.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that sometimes, we need to take preventive measures in order to stop far worse problems from occurring. This is made even more clear to me through an e-mail I received from one of my fellow Div School students who poke of two more 18 year-olds who were involved in high crime and how important it is to stem the tide and prevent these events from happening, rather than try to find a solution after the fact.

Once again, it points to a conversation I have had with a friend of mine, about my focus being on discipling and working with youth. My goal is definitely more on the spiritual walk of the youth, rather than their initial dedication.

I don't know, just something I thought about while watching those superfluous tow trucks.

I am thankful for my family.

Later, gator

David

No comments:

Post a Comment