Thursday, December 24, 2009

Terminal

As many of you know, I spend my fair share of time in airports. I am in an airport at least 4 times a year and at least 2 of those times, I have plenty of time to sit back and watch people. Well, yesterday I was once again in the airport; however, it was not for my flight, but rather I was there to meet my sister who was flying into Houston from Charlotte.

As I was waiting for her plane to land and for her to get to baggage claim, I saw lots of people milling around, some seemed uneasy, others seemed excited and still others seemed forlorn. I realized that the airport can be one of the most exciting/happy places to be-family and friends waiting to see you and hug you. Reconnecting of loved ones that have been estranged for years-or even the reunion of a couple who have only been a few days apart. There was one couple who were clearly in love and couldn't wait to see each other-if they had been capable, I think they would have dropped their bags and run into each others' arms.

However, it can also be an unbelievably lonely and depressing place. A person may have a transfer flight, but it may not leave for a few hours and so they must wait in this foreign airport with people they don't know and seeing other people meet up. Or they may not even someone to meet them at the airport-they simply fly in get a taxi and go home.

Parts of me feels like there may be a connection between airports and stages in our lives. Sometimes, we are arriving and we come to a new place, but there are people we know who can show us around and help us get acquainted. Sometimes, we arrive and there is no one-we have to start from the beginning, but we hail that taxi and get ready to face the unknown. Sometimes, we depart and have to leave everyone behind-recognizing that even though we are apart, we don't have to forget each other. Sometimes, we depart happy to see the end of that 'city' of life and ready to see what the next 'airport' life has in store for us.

I am thankful that I have friends with whom I can laugh and joke and share mundane text conversations, which help to break the monotony.

Later, gator

David

No comments:

Post a Comment