Monday, January 4, 2010

'Sometimes, you gotta put your behind in the past.'

Hello, again. Today is my dad's birthday, so I will start this post by wishing him a happy birthday: Happy Birthday Dad!

Ok, so last night my siblings and I (Stephen and Elaine (Alan wasn't here)) were looking through our high school yearbooks. There were a lot of memories contained within those few pages-messages left by friends, pictures speaking 1,000 words, etc. Well, as I looked through these yearbooks, I was hit by a monstrous wave of nostalgia and a deep desire to go back and spend some time as that high school senior/junior and see my friends again.

Today, my brother and I (again it was Stephen, Alan is still not here) watched the movie '17 Again' (coincidence? I think not-as I have said before: there are no coincidences, just small miracles God uses to make people happy (with an addendum) and/or to speak to them). In this movie, Mike O'Donnel wishes he could go back to being a high school senior and relive his 'heyday'. Well, his wish comes true....but I won't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it, but I enjoyed it.

Well, as I sit here reflecting on these past few days, I can't help but feel a connection to Mike. I, too, wanted to be able to go back and enjoy my high school life; however, one important distinction needs to be made-my high school experience was not as amazing as his seemed to be. In fact, I definitely would not want to relive high school at all. Honestly, I just want to be able to remember those experiences and maybe connect with those friends who I once held a lot closer. I don't know....Sometimes, I just have to sit back and stare amazedly at how God works in my life. It was only a few moments ago, when I saw the connection between the events of last night and today-God is unfathomable. Kind of ironically, as I was walking the neighborhood today, I was contemplating about blogging today and what to write about; well, I decided to talk about '17 Again', but I was going to say that even though I had enjoyed it, it was one of the few movies in which there was no deeper meaning that I found.....wrong again.

'A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth.'-Proverbs 17:24

I am thankful for music.

Later, gator

David

1 comment:

  1. Hey David,

    I stumbled upon your blog from facebook, so I added it to my google reader. :)

    Anyways- I had a similar reaction after seeing 17 Again. It's encouraging to read your thoughts about it, seeing as we went to the same HS. I feel like I have really been learning about keeping my focus on today and not missing yesterday or yearning for tomorrow.

    Well, I'm enjoying your blog - thanks for the sincerity in your posts!

    ReplyDelete